Learning to swim is an important life skill for children. However, children do need swimming gear and it can be a hard to find a good quality as well as a good fit. Choosing swimming gear for kids can be mind boggling at times! I have stated my opinion on each of the item below, which might help you decide:
If you want to take your baby/toddler who isn’t potty trained, for swimming lessons, you should put swim nappies on them. I used the Huggies Little Swimmers nappies for my children when they were toddlers. Just like the normal nappies, the swim nappies come in various sizes.
My rating: 4/5
- Huggies is a well-known brand
- Swim nappies do not swell in water like normal nappies
- Value for money
- Leak proof in water
- Each nappy lasts for about half an hour to an hour which is enough time for a baby to be in the pool .
- No other protection required though I would recommend from my own experience that it is better to put a Happy Nappy (see below) on top of the swim nappy for added protection especially with the no.2’s
- You will need to be careful with the size as these nappies are much smaller than normal nappies. You need to buy the right size also to make sure the no.2’s stay inside the nappy
- These nappies should only be used while your little one is in water. Make sure you change them to normal nappies the moment they come out of water
- It might be tricky initially to put this nappy on your child .
As per the rules of most swimming school’s, a Happy Nappy is mandatory for all children. I used Splash About happy nappy for my children. Keep in mind that a Happy Nappy has to be worn over the swim nappies. Just in case there is a leak in the swim nappies, the Happy Nappy contains everything inside. Make sure you always use both swim nappies and Happy Nappy for your babies/toddlers.
Product: Splash About Happy Nappy
My rating: 4.5/5
- Added protection and keeps the swim nappy secure as well
- They are snug yet comfortable and they allow full movement without any leaks
- Happy Nappy has to be washed in cold water only. If required very little detergent should be used. Therefore, it is easy to wash and dry
- Available in a variety of designs for both boys and girls
- value for money and peace of mind that there will be no leakages
- Be careful with the sizes before ordering – Happy Nappy has to have a snug fit. If the Happy Nappy is loose, it won’t be able to contain any leaks from the swim nappy !
- You will have to physically measure your child’s waist, thighs etc. Do not rely on the measurement guide. Remember if the happy nappy is to loose, there will be leakages.
My children find it hard to go underwater without goggles. So I would suggest buying swimming goggles with suction caps (it prevents water from going inside the goggles. Parents of babies/toddlers(under 3 years of age) should only buy goggles if you feel they need it .
Product: Copozz Kids Swimming Goggles
Age: 3 years-12 years
My rating: 4/5
1 x goggles
1 x protection case
1 x manual
- Copozz Kids Swimming Goggles has features like Anti fog, UV Protection, clear Lens
- Goggles come with a free protection case
- Goggles are made with hypoallergenic silicone
- Easy -adjust, fast -fit head strap
- Good fit around the eyes
- Great colours for kids
- Clips on the sides might break as regular adjusting is needed with the goggles
- Some people have had issues with the quality.
In my children’s swimming school, it is mandatory for kids with long hair (read girls) to wear swimming hat due to hygiene reasons. I use silicone hat for my daughter which keeps her hair dry but it is harder to it put on than a polyester hat (which is not waterproof). So the parent has to decide which one is more suitable for them and their child. But I would recommend silicone hat as it keeps the chlorine water out and therefore protects the hair.
My rating: 4/5
- Speedo is well-known quality brand
- Ideal for regular swim sessions
- Protects your hair from chlorine
- Made of durable and long-lasting silicone and it won’t snag or pull hair
- Available in a variety of colours
- Quality issues at times even though hat is from Speedo
- Few people have had issues with the fit even though these hats are supposed to be one size hats meaning they should fit heads of all sizes (for children)
Swim Costumes (Girls)
You will need a costume for your little girl! Fitting of a costume is very tricky. Make sure you get the right size and confirm the returns’ policy in case the size you ordered doesn’t fit!
Product: Speedo Girls Swimsuit
My rating: 4/5
- Speedo is a good quality brand
- Ideal for swimming lessons
- Quick drying, soft and stretchy
- Chlorine resistant and designed to last longer
- Provides UV protection
- Reasonably priced
- No cartoon characters
Swim Costumes (Boys)
Again you will need a costume for your little boy. Be careful about the sizes though!
My rating: 4.5/5
- Speedo is a quality brand
- Suitable for regular swimming sessions
- Chlorine resistant and quick drying
- Comfortable and snag-resistant fabric
- Retains shape and resists fading longer than any other swim material
- Drawstring waist for a secure fit
- Sun protection
- Be careful while choosing the size
Even if your child goes for swimming lessons, you should take them for a swim in the local pools with the family . The more they practice the faster they will get through the various stages of swimming. This will also be an opportunity to have fun with the family which will bring bonding as well . Make sure that you are always in the pool with your child and take all the usual precautions while you use these swimming aids, depending on the age and ability of your child.
Remember , I am not a swim teacher or an expert, this is just my opinion .
Water noodles are suitable for both adults and children. They can used for rehabilitation and exercise too. More importantly , it can help children gain confidence while learning to swim.
1 x green noodle
1 x red noodle
1 x blue noodle
Product: Elite Water Noodles
Kids Float Discs
The float discs can be used to keep your child afloat in the pool while they learn to swim. The best feature is that you can use these instead of inflatable arm floats . It can be used even when your are on a holiday if you want to go into the pool with your child. The only thing is it will use a bit of space in the suitcase . They are lightweight so weight won’t be a problem.
Product name:Kids Child Float Discs
Dive Sticks are great for building underwater confidence in the kids. It is a great toy too especially on holidays. It will keep children occupied in a fun way!
Product name: Zoggs Children’s Zoggy Sinking Dive Sticks
Age: 3 years+
If you want to share your child’s experience with any of the above swimming gear please put them in the comment box below, I will be happy to hear from you!