With the summer holidays approaching, many of you would be going on holidays with your kids. During travel, a tablet would certainly be handy to keep kids occupied. So here is a Fire7 Kids Edition Tablet Review which will help you decide whether to buy it or not.
Product Name: Amazon Fire 7 Kids Edition Tablet
Where to Buy: Amazon.co.UK
Colour: Black tablet with a choice of Pink, Blue,Yellow kid proof case
Weight: 390 gms
Dimensions: 222 x 141 x 26.3 mm
Age range: 3 years-12 years
- Fire Tablet
- Amazon Kid-proof case
- USB 2.0 Cable
- 5W power adaptor
- Quick start guide
My Rating: 4.5/5
- Fire tablet comes with a 16 GB storage space and Micro SD slot which means you can increase the storage to 256 GB.
- Processor- 1 GB of RAM.
- 8 hours of battery life and can be fully charged under 6 hours.
- Screen resolution 1024 x 600.
- 1 year free subscription to Amazon Fire for Kids Unlimited which gives access to 5000 apps and games, videos, books and educational content from Disney, Nickelodeon, Sesame Street and many more. After 1 year, the subscription will be $1.99 per month. The content is to be chosen as per the age range (3 to 5 years,6 to 8 years, 9 to 12 years).
- 2 year worry free guarantee – if kids break the tablet, Amazon will replace it at no extra cost, no questions asked.
- Tablet comes with a kid proof case- if the tablet falls it will bounce!
- Parental controls – you can manage usage limits, content access and educational goals through the device or remotely through Amazon parent dashboard
- VGA front facing camera and 2 MP rear- facing with 720p HD video recording.
- Create child (up to 4 profiles) and Adult profile. You can add or delete content from your child’s profile.
- Kids- safe browser which keeps inappropriate content out .
What are the good things about this product?
- Reasonably priced at £99.99
- 2 year worry free guarantee- no questions asked. If your kids break it, Amazon will replace it for free.
- Kids proof case – if it falls it bounces! Very easy to grip cover.
- Free access to Amazon Fire for kids unlimited for 1 year. You can choose content as per age.
- Parental control – you can manage the usage limits by setting time limit on it. As soon as the time is up, the tablet shuts down. So even if you forget or get engrossed in your work the tablet will automatically shut down depending on the time you have set beforehand. You can also choose content you want your child to watch.
- Educational goals – You can use Learn First to block access to videos and games until the educational goals have been met. For example – child can’t access the videos and games till the reading for the day has been completed.
- If you (adult) have purchased any books or videos from Amazon, you can share it with the child profiles or un-share them if you change your mind. This can only be done under WiFi . So check the content before you lose the WiFi access and make sure you are ok with the content your child is watching. If you have a Netflix account, you can download movies and then share it with your child. Your child can watch it offline.
- Flexible accounts- The adult account can have access to you-tube, socail media etc. The child account would have no access to in-app purchases, ads, emails or social media. You can set up to 4 child profiles. You can put content of different age range for each child.
What features aren’t very good?
- There is no screen protector included. If you want buy one it will cost you another £9.99. But even if your screen breaks you can get the tablet replaced under the two-year guarantee.
- Not great on hardware.
- Quality issues in some Tablets where the charging port wasn’t working or touch was not recognised, applications were auto launching and generally some Tablets were slow at times.
- Sound is not great but it is ok for kids programs.
- Camera is not very great. You might not be to able use the photos or videos taken by your child.
- Screen resolution is very low 1024x 600. But in my opinion it is not a very big issue especially on a kids tablet.
- Parental controls can be confusing.
- The two-year guarantee starts with the original purchase. If you get your tablet replaced, you will only get the balance of the time left for the guarantee on the new Tablet.
- You cannot access the SD card slot and microphone with the case on which again is not a big issue in my opinion.
All in all, Amazon offers a lot of features for £99.99 . The best features would be the 2 years no questions asked guarantee, the kid proof case and 1 year free access to Fire for kids Unlimited. This makes it a great buy according to me. The negative features of the product particularly the camera and sound are not that big an issue. You can’t go wrong with £99.99 kids Tablet which has a 2 year guarantee !
Also if you compare it with Fire 8 Kids Edition, it is only a slight upgrade over Fire 7 which doesn’t seem worth it for an extra £30.
Enjoy your Tablet!